Brief church history
In October of 1949 the Reverend Harry N. Peelor was assigned to organize a new congregation to serve the South Hills of Pittsburgh. Twenty-seven people gathered to begin the new church which met above a store on Highland Road. A charter was formed with 111 members in April 1950.
In 1952 a small church was built on our current site. The present sanctuary was erected in 1959 with the original building becoming an education wing.
In 1975 Dr. William Boyd Grove was appointed as the second senior minister. Five years later he was elected a Bishop. Dr. Brian K. Bauknight became the third senior minister in 1980.
In 1994 the Christian Life Center, classrooms and music wing were added as the congregation and its ministries have grown.
And in July of 2007, Rev. R. Duane Thompson became the fourth and current senior minister.
Christ Church has become a leading church in United Methodism. Membership of the congregation is now approximately 3,600 persons representing about 2,100 households.